30 Day Language Challenge April 2021 -- FINAL COUNTS

Challenge will start April 1, 2021 and run until April 30th, 2021

All you need to do to sign up is to comment below with the language (or languages) you’re wanting to join with. To complete your prompts, post on LangCorrect and then link them here to get credit.

These are your daily prompts. Feel free to adjust these as much or as little to your level as you need to. I have given some more advanced ideas for our intermediate+ learners but they are just guidelines and not hard set rules. The goal is just to write, even if it just ONE sentence! So don’t stress yourself out! These are broken down to one journal a day (with one free day) but feel free to skip a day and write two on another if you’d like! Feel free to skip around what prompts you use for each day. We want you to write and have fun, not feel like it is a chore!

To kick things off, we’ll also be offering one lucky participant two weeks of LangCorrect premium!

Day One
How long have you been studying your target language and why?

Intermediate to Advanced: tell us about your struggles you’ve faced learning your target language and what you found easy. Feel free to expand with your goals for the language and how you see yourself using it in years to come.

Direct link to prompt: How long have you been studying your target language and why?

Day Two
Tell us about your hobbies. What do you like and dislike?

Intermediate and advanced learners: Tell us exactly why you like or dislike those hobbies and how your hobbies have changed over the years.

Direct link to prompt: Tell us about your hobbies. What do you like and dislike?

Day Three
Tell us about your family. Are you single or married? Do you have kids or pets? Brothers and sisters?

Intermediate to advanced learners: Continue on to describe someone in your family, could be what they look like or their personality. Maybe things you have in common with them or differences you have had.

Direct link to prompt: Tell us about your family. Are you single or married? Do you have kids or pets? Brothers and sisters?

Day Four
What’s your favourite food? What’s your least favourite? Why?

Intermediate to advanced: Explain to us how to make your favourite recipe!

Direct link to prompt: What’s your favorite food? What’s your least favorite? Why?

Day Five
What’s your favourite TV show or movie? What do you like about it?

Intermediate to advanced: Tell us the overall plot. Who are your favourite characters?

Direct link to prompt: What’s your favorite TV show or movie? What do you like about it?

Day Six
What do you do for work? How long are your hours? Do you enjoy your work?

Intermediate to advanced: What does your typical workday look like? Why did you choose the job you have?

Direct link to prompt: What do you do for work? How long are your hours? Do you enjoy your work?

Day Seven
Have you ever taken a language lesson before? How did it go?

Intermediate to advanced: What did you like or dislike about the tutor? Did you take another lesson with them?

Direct link to prompt: Have you ever taken a language lesson before? How did it go?

Day Eight
What countries speak your target language? Have you ever been or do you have plans to go there?

Intermediate to advanced: Tell us about one of the countries! What food is eaten there? What is the weather like? The culture?

Direct link to prompt: What countries speak your target language? Have you ever been or do you have plans to go?

Day Nine
Do you plan to learn any other languages after this one? Do you know any others?

Intermediate to advanced: Tell us about the similarities and differences between your native language and your target language. If you know some similarities between two of your target languages, tell us that too!

Direct link to prompt: Do you plan to learn any other languages after this one? Do you know any others?

Day Ten
Tell us about your daily routine! For example, What time to do you wake up? What do you have for lunch? When do you get off work? What do you do in your free time?

No advanced suggestions, just expand on your routine as much as possible! Make it very specific.

Direct link to prompt: Tell us about your daily routine! For example, What time do you wake up? What do you have for lunch? When do you get off work? What do you do in your free time?

Day Eleven
How do you use your corrections to study? Do you rewrite your journal on paper? Make flashcards of the words you learned? The entire sentence?

Direct link to prompt: How do you use your corrections to study? Do you rewrite your journal on paper? Make flashcards of the words you learned? The entire sentence?

Day Twelve
What has been your biggest struggle in your target language? Is there just a word you can’t seem to remember? A grammar point that is just too tricky?

Intermediate to advanced: How many ways have you tried to learn that word or grammar point? How do you plan on studying it in the future?

Direct link to prompt: What has been your biggest struggle in your target language? Is there just a word you can’t seem to remember? A grammar point that is just too tricky?

Day Thirteen
How do you include your target language in your daily life? Do you write shopping lists? Do you write memos at work? If you don’t, how much time do you spend studying a day?

Intermediate to advanced: Do you think immersion is needed to learn a language? Should you change your electronics to your target language to progress?

Direct link to prompt: How do you include your target language in your daily life? Do you write shopping lists? Do you write memos at work? If you don’t, how much time do you spend studying a day?

Day Fourteen
What was the first thing you learned in your target language? What were your first goals? Have you finished those goals?

Intermediate to advanced: How have you changed studying your target language since day 1? Do you use different resources? What has worked and hasn’t worked for you?

Direct link to prompt: What was the first thing you learned in your target language? What were your first goals? Have you finished those goals?

Day Fifteen
Halfway there! Free day! Feel free to write whatever you want, or take a day of rest. Not writing a journal today won’t count against you. Learning a language is hard work and you don’t want to burn yourself out!

Day Sixteen
Do you listen to podcasts? If so, what podcasts do you life? If not, what don’t you like about podcasts?

Intermediate to advanced: Find a podcast in your target language and listen to it! Tell us all about the episode you listened to.

Direct link to prompt: Do you listen to podcasts? If so, what podcasts do you life? If not, what don’t you like about podcasts?

Day Seventeen
Do you think in your target language throughout the day? What was your most recent thought?

Intermediate to advanced: We challenge you to spend an entire day thinking in your target language! If you think something in your native language be sure to then try to translate that into your target language! Feel free to share some of those thoughts here.

Direct link to prompt: Do you think in your target language throughout the day? What was your most recent thought?

Day Eighteen
When is the last time you had a conversation in your target language? Was it with a friend? Through an app? A tutor?

Intermediate to advanced: What was the conversation about? Did you learn anything new or practice any new grammar points or words in it?

Direct link to prompt: When is the last time you had a conversation in your target language? Was it with a friend? Through an app? A tutor?

Day Nineteen
Write a short story using five new words you’ve learned recently. It doesn’t have to be long at all! Even just three sentences like “Ron went to the store. He bought milk, eggs, and bread. He drove home.” is totally fine!

Intermediate to advanced: Write at least a 10 sentence story!

Direct link to prompt: Write a short story using five new words you’ve learned recently. It doesn’t have to be long at all! Even just three sentences like “Ron went to the store. He bought milk, eggs, and bread. He drove home.” is totally fine!

Day Twenty
What is your favourite holiday and why? What are some traditions you have?

Intermediate to advanced: Do they celebrate your favourite holiday in the country where your target language in spoken? If so, what are the differences? If not, tell us about a holiday they celebrate!

Direct link to prompt: What is your favourite holiday and why? What are some traditions you have?

Day Twenty-One
What is your to-do list for today?

Intermediate to advanced: Tell us how you will complete each one!

Direct link to prompt: What is your to-do list for today?

Day Twenty-Two
What advice do you have for someone learning either your target language OR your native language?

Direct link to prompt: What advice do you have for someone learning either your target language OR your native language?

Day Twenty-Three
Listen to a song in your target language. What was your favourite line from it?

Intermediate to advanced: What is the meaning of the song? When did it come out? It is a popular song?

Direct link to prompt: Listen to a song in your target language. What was your favourite line from it?

Day Twenty-Four
Write as many adjectives and their antonyms or synonyms as you can think of in ten minutes! Don’t use a dictionary or double-check when you’re finished. Submit and see how good you did!

Intermediate to advanced: Use 5 minutes to think of a word bank. Use another 5 to use all those words in sentences or a short story!

Direct link to prompt: Write as many adjectives and their antonyms or synonyms as you can think of in ten minutes! Don’t use a dictionary or double-check when you’re finished. Submit and see how good you did!

Day Twenty-Five
Watch a TV show in your target language (with or without subtitles). If you’re a beginner, I suggest a kids TV show like Mickey Mouse Playhouse, Peppa Pig, etc.
How much did you understand? Did you learn anything?

Intermediate to advanced: Tell us about the plot and the characters!

Direct link to prompt: Watch a TV show in your target language (with or without subtitles). If you’re a beginner, I suggest a kids TV show like Mickey Mouse Playhouse, Peppa Pig, etc.
How much did you understand? Did you learn anything?

Day Twenty-Six
If you could move anywhere in the world, where would you move and why?

Intermediate to advanced: What makes the place you move to better than where you currently are? What would you miss about your current city/area?

Direct link to prompt: If you could move anywhere in the world, where would you move and why?

Day Twenty-Seven
Read a short story, like a folk tale or fable. What words did you see repeated? What did you learn?

Intermediate to advanced: What was the moral? Do you have a story with a similar moral in your native language?

Direct link to prompt: Read a short story, like a folk tale or fable. What words did you see repeated? What did you learn?

Day Twenty-Eight
Two more days! What language do you think would you never learn? Why?

Intermediate to advanced: Tell us about the country of that language. Would you go visit the country? What is tourism like there?

Direct link to prompt: What language do you think would you never learn? Why?

Day Twenty-Nine
What are your tips to learning a foreign language? Do you write everyday? Study grammar? Speak from day one?

Intermediate to advanced: What are the biggest mistakes a new learner makes when starting to learn a foreign language? What mistakes of those did you make? What mistakes have you made recently?

Direct link to prompt: What are your tips to learning a foreign language? Do you write everyday? Study grammar? Speak from day one?

Day Thirty!
You’ve made it! Feel free to do whatever you want. You could rewrite one of the prompts at the beginning to see how much you’ve improved or write about how the challenge has or hasn’t helped you. Maybe you could write about what you would like to see in a future challenge.

Participants

CATALAN
mitchell – 12 Journals submitted
Valencianeta – 2 Journals submitted

CROATIAN
jammanbo – 9 Journals submitted
Janko - 2 Journals submitted

DUTCH
endopath – 30 Journals submitted

ENGLISH
Ladia – 11 Journals submitted
Korossol – 30 Journals submitted
Lesleywong – 23 Journals submitted
Sila – 6 Journals submitted
Silver – 3 Journals submitted
Akihello – 8 Journals submitted
Calipso_mayara – 5 Journals submitted
Tommy – 19 Journals submitted
orbanzsuzsanna – 3 journals submitted
alisa – 3 Journal submitted
Mumtaz – 16 Journals submitted (Also writing in Spanish)
Lnc – 14 Journals submitted
gisamotti - 4 Journals submitted (Also writing in Spanish)

FRENCH
Mewmew31 – 15 journals submitted
Karlla – 9 Journals submitted (also writing in Japanese)
mareczek1234 – 28 Journals submitted
Carollina334 – 4 Journals submitted
Arielle0– 9 Journals submitted
Avalon_anders – 3 Journals submitted (also writing in Mandarin)
Miriam – 8 Journals submitted (Also writing in Spanish)
dailbhey – 1 Journal submitted
olivierchen – 3 Journals submitted

GERMAN
Vinaspa – 30 Journals submitted
Rom – 30 Journals submitted
Alisson – 30 Journals submitted
Heyyawn – 29 Journals submitted
Ceci – 7 Journals submitted
Shahar – 2 Journals submitted
birbblepeets – 10 Journals submitted (Also writing in Mandarin)
angela85 – 1 Journal submitted
tanya – 15 Journals submitted

GREEK
April – 16 Journals submitted

HEBREW
fiddlestix – 23 Journal submitted

HINDI
Jacque – 3 Journals submitted
Shanelley – 1 Journals submitted
Sunitha – 0 Journals submitted
Sarah Louise – 11 Journals submitted

ITALIAN
Miguel – 26 Journals submitted
Alamomme – 1 Journals submitted

JAPANESE
Masemune – 9 Journals submitted
Jasperkasper – 3 Journals submitted
Esotericemperor – 4 Journals submitted
Getequippedwith – 3 Journals submitted (also writing in Spanish)
Mari – 30 Journals submitted
Steph – 2 journals submitted
M21 – 14 journals submitted (also writing in Mandarin)
Heavensblade13 – 30 journals submitted
Karlla – 17 Journals submitted (also writing in French)
tatsuo --25 journals submitted
Nihongolearner19 – 4 Journals submitted (Also writing in Spanish and Korean)
Kistunelaite – 1 Journals submitted
Tudinal – 10 Journals submitted
nhgwakaranai – 7 Journals submitted
ion8911 – 2 Journals submitted
coda – 30 Journals submitted
studiousbees – 30 Journals submitted (Also writing in Mandarin)
laura – 1 Journal submitted
olivierchen – 3 Journal submitted
Apel - 30 Journals submitted

KOREAN
Alextward – 30 Journals submitted
Archiekinz – 18 Journals submitted
Nihongolearner19 – 4 Journals submitted (Also writing in Spanish and Japanese)
callantry – 4 journals submitted

MANDARIN
Steph – 0 Journals submitted (also writing in Japanese)
M21 – 6 Journals submitted (also writing in Japanese)
Avalon_anders – 3 Journals submitted (also writing in French)
Aietra – 5 Journals submitted
Bluedog311 – 0 Journals submitted
birbblepeets – 10 Journals submitted (Also writing in German)
donleonard – 4 Journal submitted
studiousbees – 30 Journals submitted (Also writing in Japanese)

POLISH
Joshua_ – 12 Journals submitted (Also writing in Russian)
Zingo – 7 Journals submitted

PORTUGUESE
Alamomme – 9 Journals submitted
Glass_Man – 30 Journals submitted
ppaulam – 13 Journals submitted

RUSSIAN
Joshua_ – 9 Journals submitted (Also writing in Polish)
iamb – 4 Journal submitted

SPANISH
Getequippedwith – 30 Journals submitted (also writing in Japanese)
Hava – 1 Journals submitted
Jackdaddy – 5 Journals submitted (also writing in Mandarin)
Fabledlamb – 30 Journals submitted
Colleentie – 29 Journals submitted
Nihongolearner19 – 4 Journals submitted (Also writing in Japanese and Korean)
Delma_ray – 9 Journals submitted
Rejectionwarrior – 12 Journals submitted (Also writing in Swedish)
Lino – 1 Journal submitted
Miriam – 8 Journals submitted (also writing in French)
bryan90 – 17 Journals submitted
rhycce – 19 Journals submitted
aaroneuz – 8 Journals submitted
raramama – 29 Journal submitted
bennii11 – 9 Journals submitted
caithlin – 3 Journals submitted
Silver – 1 Journals submitted
Mumtaz - 19 journals submitted (Also writing in English)
gisamotti - 4 Journals submitted (Also writing in English)

SWEDISH
Mikaswedish – 30 Journals submitted
Rejectionwarrior – 12 Journals submitted (Also writing in Spanish)
hejkexet – 3 Journals submitted
Pad – 14 Journals Submitted

Number of Participants: 96
Number of Target Languages: 19
Number of Native Languages: 25

((All native languages of participants: Arabic, Bengali, Croatian, Czech, English, French, Gaelic, German, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Lithuanian, Mandarin, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish))

HOW TO GET YOUR JOURNALS COUNTED

Please post the link to your journal here

16 Likes

Count me in! :smiley:

I’ll be writing in Japanese.

2 Likes

I’m joining! I’ll be writing in English.

3 Likes

Sounds like great practice! I’ll be writing in Japanese.

3 Likes

I’ll attempt it… Motivation is hard. I’ll be writing in Japanese. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I want to try this with Spanish and Japanese! I might alternate between them.

3 Likes

Absolutely!!

1 Like

Motivation can take a lot out of you… If you can, at least just write one sentence!! (: If not, no worries either! This is all for fun and not to stress anyone out!

2 Likes

This looks AMAZING! I’ll be writing in Hindi :grinning:

3 Likes

I’ll be writing in German :slight_smile:

3 Likes

thank you jaque, i’ll be trying to write in hindi

3 Likes

Me, me! I want in, too! I’ll be writing in Japanese, too. :tada:

3 Likes

I’d like to try participating with Japanese! I might try writing some in Mandarin as well

3 Likes

I love this idea! I’ll try this in italian :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ll join, seems like a great idea Jacque. After all, I have already done a 500 day challenge, how hard can this be? :flushed:

4 Likes

That’s awesome! I’m assuming you’re joining with German?

I must admit, I made the intermediate-advanced prompts specifically thinking of you! I knew the original prompt was going to be too below your level :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Hi, I will join.

I will write in Japanese and Chinese. :smiley:

3 Likes

I’m in for French

3 Likes

I’ll be writing in english. Or trying. :lying_face:

3 Likes

You got this!! We’re all here for you!

3 Likes