Food blogging :)

Hi!

I rarely start conversations - I’m one of those boring introverts. Nonetheless there are things I do enjoy doing, and I will occasionally talk about those. One of my favourite things is food. Eating it, obviously, but also preparing it, mostly for others and in the hopes that they may enjoy it :slight_smile:

Do you try to write/talk about food in your target language?

1 Like

I think we can all agree that food is the key to the heart :smiley:

What would you say is your favorite food to eat and/or make?

I’ve written about my favorite food before and the restaurants I’ve went too. This helps me both practice in my target language and remember where I ate for next time!

1 Like

I don’t think I can single out one particular food. It varies with seasons and how I feel at the time.

In the colder months I really cook a lot of hearty one-pot wonders, here some examples:

• Kimchi JiGae
  • Goulash
  • Normande Barley Chicken

When the weather is warmer I prefer lighter foods, or things from the grill (wood/coal BBQ):

• Mixed Salad w/ Haloumi
  • Fish soup
  • Čevapčiči :slight_smile:

And there are staples like lasagna and numerous cakes & desserts

1 Like

Don’t forget the punjene paprike (stuffed peppers)! It’s such a delicious dish to warm up the soul :smiley:

I’m a huuuge noodle lover so anything with noodles is pretty high up on my list of likes~

1 Like

I love noodles/pasta, too, but have been trying to reduce my carb intake =}

But since we’re on the subject of “stuffed” dishes, how about sarma? :slight_smile:

I don’t usually write about food, because it’s not a very important topic to me, but some months ago I started publishing a series of texts on LC about dishes I’ve tasted from foreign cuisines.
I think I wrote four texts, then I realised I didn’t really try as much foreign food as I thought, so I stopped.

Very cool … now I’ll have to see how proliferous a writer you are and whether I want to try and find those :slight_smile:

Food, to me, is an amazing thing, and I enjoy cooking - and dare I say, I’m a pretty decent cook :wink:

The funny thing, though, is that I usually only cook when I can make others happy. A meal for myself may well be a few slices of buttered bread with some cheese and salami :slight_smile:

That’s really cool! I wish I had the same relation with food.

I don’t hate food, but I don’t love it either. I eat because I need to eat if I want to stay alive and even if I’ve obviously got my tastes, the most important thing to me is eating to fill my belly, not to feel any particular flavour.

I also wish I could say I enjoy cooking, but I don’t. It honestly stresses me out. The fact you have to be careful with what you do is too much for me. I tend to approximate a lot, but that’s not how it works in the kitchen. You have to strictly follow the recipe if you don’t want your dish to be too raw or too cooked. I also tend to exaggerate because in general it’s always safer to add more rather than having less, but when you cook it’s the other way around: it’s easier and safer to have less, because you can always add things afterwards if it’s not enough.
What I can say though is that even if cooking stresses me out, I feel satisfied when I eat something I prepared. Even if the end result isn’t something I would make someone else eat, the fact that I prepared it is enough for me to make me feel good.

I’ve cooked only once for others, because they asked me to. I didn’t really like it, but they appreciated it (it was a simple dish anyway, nothing fancy). I don’t know if they actually appreciated it or they just wanted to be polite.

1 Like

:slight_smile:

My partner is a bit like that; fill up the belly, and best if with as little effort as possible. Any dish that takes longer than 15 minutes to cook is too much hassle :wink:

Whereas I’m perfectly happy to spend 2 hours in the kitchen to prepare polpette neapolitane or osso bucco with gnocchi.

Btw, I had a look at your profile trying to look for your food experiences, and boy, you are a prolific writer. And what an eclectic mix of languages. I guess even if I had opened any on your posts I wouldn’t have known whether it’s about food or not :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks, glad you appreciate! I don’t write as often as I would like to, but I try my best.

My food-related posts are actually very easy to find. They all have the word “gastronomia” in the title. This is the first one, if you’re interested: Gastronomia. Pierwsza część: polski żurek · LangCorrect.

Yeah, I know I don’t learn “conventional” languages, but when I decide to learn a language I don’t care how useful it can be, I have to like it and be interested in it. This might sound nice, but it’s a double-edged sword: it’s obviously easier to study a language you’re interested in, but sometimes it may be hard to find resources or you may not have many chances to actually use it.

As for your partner, it’s very curious how often opposites attract. Next time I meet someone I like, I’ll ask them if they enjoy cooking ahah.

PS: in Italian it’s spelt “osso buco” with a single C. I don’t know why in some languages the C is doubled. I was so confused when I read “osso bucco” for the first time in France, I thought it was a typo, but then I discovered that’s how they actually spell it.

Thanks for the corrective feedback, I’ll make sure I remember that.

Regarding the wrong spelling: that’s par for the course, isn’t it?

I don’t know many languages that keep the spelling true to the original version for foreign words they “imported” (usurped? :D) …

Thanks for the link, I had to mangle that through Google translate, interesting experience, shame you didn’t enjoy the soup =}