“Journal” vs “Journal Entry”

I have always understood a “journal” to be a collection of journal entries or posts, in the same way that a “diary” is a book of diary entries. See these Oxford Learner’s Dictionary entries for journal and diary, for example.

However, in LangCorrect “journal” refers to a single entry/post. If an English learner used “journal” in this way in a post, I would correct it to “journal entry” or maybe “post” or “article,” depending on the context. Have you considered changing this in the LangCorrect interface?

1 Like

Exactly, this is why I always correct native English speakers who use “diario” or “giornale” in Italian the same way LangCorrect does. It’s not something a native would say.
I know other people who do the same.

1 Like

Great point! I’ll be sure to resolve this in the next version of LC

1 Like

Same issue with entrée de journal vs journal in French.

I raised the issue with some fellow French-speakers I translated a part of the site with, but I basically received a “doesn’t matter” answer, and we eventually decided to make both synonymous when translating the site, so I don’t always correct learners using journal to mean entrée.

Guess I want to avoid any do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do impression… but I add there is indeed a different between both everywhere outside the LC context

1 Like