This release will address the performance drops (page loading speed) specifically on the Teach and Learn pages. The main queryset originally took 2-3 seconds to complete which was terribly inefficient, and has been reduced down to 350ms.
There are two more bottlenecks (Notifications and Popular Correctors) that will be addressed in a future update.
This release will also remove the
friends only post permission due to lack of use (~ 0.2% usage). Some users were also abusing this permission to keep up their streaks by posting really low effort/placeholder journals. Please report these journals so we can remove them from the site!
This release will introduce a new and vastly superior notification system (django-notifications). It is also packed with a small performance increase compared to our previous notification system.
Please note that we will not be migrating over the old notifications into the new one → this means that all past notifications will be deleted permanently.
Here are some notable changes:
- The notification panel will now only show unread notifications, and will no longer automatically mark items as read.
- There is now a button to clear all unread notifications.
- There is currently no grouped corrections until PR #249 gets merged, or a fork implemented.
- There is no live loading → you will need to manually reload the page to see new notifications.
- It will now take you directly to the notification event.
Additional notifications types have been added:
- When someone likes your journal
- When someone has updated a sentence they have corrected
- When someone has deleted a sentence they have corrected or marked as perfect
- When someone has updated or deleted their reply
- When someone you are following publishes a new prompt
- The Corrections Received page will now display a sidebar with counts of your total sentences written, total sentences marked as perfect, and total sentences corrected.
- A jump to top button has been added when reading a journal.
- Premium users are exempt from ratio watch, and their ratios are now hidden.
- Bootstrap has been upgraded to
- More strings are now translatable (@aka thanks for hunting them down!)
- Old notification system has been replaced, and new notification types have been added.
- The Corrections Received page will now only be visible to yourself or moderators +.
- The edit correction form will now be displayed in a popup modal. A reference of your previous correction with highlights has also been added.
- A “revised” label has been added to corrections that have been edited.
- The url to make corrections has been changed from
- Additional url changes have been made to prevent conflicts with journal and correction actions.
- (Testing) Action buttons for corrections will no longer be hidden under a drop-down.
- Reply system has been revamped. Quoted content will now have a link to take you directly to the content in question.
- Deleted replies will now be soft deleted, and the original message will be replaced with “This message has been removed.”
- A visual upgrade to the side-by-side corrections:
- A visual upgrade to the grouped corrections:
- Toastr has been removed and replaced with bootstrap toasts.